Dipped Flatware DIY

(via)

I saw this flatware on Southern Weddings a few weeks ago and was instantly obsessed. The fun colors and the classic shape of the flatware, I knew I wanted to try and attempt to make my own. Last week I took a trip to Michaels to pick out my paint colors (I wanted them to match my tablecloth) and then headed to the Dollar Tree to pick out some flatware. Lucky for me, the Dollar Tree had some pretty shaped flatware that I could test out. Target had a set I really liked but I didn't want to spend a ton when I wasn't totally sure how it would turn out. It turned out great and was so easy so I think I may be heading back to Target to get the set! This DIY is super simple and super cheap, I spent less than $10 and there are so many different variations you could do with this DIY.
Here is what you need:
Paint (Just used the same acrylic paint I used on the tablecloth)
Styrofoam Cups (for dipping)
Something to hang the flatware on so the excess can drip off ( I used a coat hanger and clothes pins)
Painters Tape
Clear Acrylic Sealer




What do to: First tape off the flatware as to how much you want to dip. I was going to use a paint brush but it kept leaving stroke marks so I decided to dip. I put paint into styrofoam cups and then just dipped the flatware in. I then hung up each piece of on a clothes hanger with a clothespin and let them drip off onto a piece of cardboard. This will take a little while to dry but just leave it hanging, it may seem like it isn't all going to drip off but I promise it will eventually. After its almost dry (probably like 90%) spray the clear acrylic adhesive to keep the paint from chipping off. Let that set for a couple of hours and that's it! So simple but so neat right? 





I am so obsessed with these. Now I would probably hand wash these carefully because even though I sprayed the clear acrylic, I just don't know how they would do in the dishwasher. These would be so great for a party or event or just for everyday flatware. I think its a great way to brighten up a meal!